Join Us For Our Weekly Sunday Service and Sunday School at 10:30 am and Wednesday Testimony Meeting at 7:30 pm
The mission of our church is to support the reinstatement of primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing and to joyfully discover man’s spiritual identity and innocence.
History of Christian Science in Dayton
Students of Christian Science were in Dayton as early as 1888. By 1892, these students held informal services in a private home and two years later, organized First Church of Christ, Scientist, Dayton, with nine members. In 1895, the members rented a hall at Fifth and Jefferson in downtown Dayton for services as well as for the area’s first Christian Science Reading Room. Membership and attendance grew steadily, and on January 8, 1898, the church was incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio. In 1900, First Church rented a small frame church on South Robert Boulevard which it purchased in 1902.
The rapid growth of Christian Science in Dayton led 30 members of First Church to decide to form a second church in the area. Second Church of Christ, Scientist, Dayton, Ohio was recognized as a branch of The Mother Church on December 29, 1905, and obtained a charter from the State of Ohio on June 8, 1906. Its first public service under the charter was held at 125 West Third Street.
In 1917, First Church members acquired a beautiful site on Sawmill Road, the site of their church home for 89 years (1924-2013). Ground was broken for the new edifice on June 23, 1924, and the cornerstone laid on October 17 of the same year. The church was dedicated on January 23, 1944. First Church sold its real estate to the University of Dayton in October 2013.
The 720 Belmonte Park, North location for Second Church was purchased in 1920; the the cornerstone was laid April 25, 1923, at 6:00 a.m. The first service was held December 2, 1923, and the dedication took place Sunday, July 30, 1944. Second Church completed the sale of its real estate to Grandview Hospital in November 2013.
First and Second Churches, Dayton, consolidated on January 1, 2014, under the name First Church of Christ, Scientist, Dayton. Their current location is at 533 E. First Street in Dayton, Ohio.
Question. — Have Christian Scientists any religious creed?
Answer. — They have not, if by that term is meant doctrinal beliefs. The following is a brief exposition of the important points, or religious tenets, of Christian Science: —
1. As adherents of Truth, we take the inspired Word of the Bible as our sufficient guide to eternal Life.
2. We acknowledge and adore one supreme and infinite God. We acknowledge His Son, one Christ; the Holy Ghost or divine Comforter; and man in God's image and likeness.
3. We acknowledge God's forgiveness of sin in the destruction of sin and the spiritual understanding that casts out evil as unreal. But the belief in sin is punished so long as the belief lasts.
4. We acknowledge Jesus' atonement as the evidence of divine, efficacious Love, unfolding man's unity with God through Christ Jesus the Way-shower; and we acknowledge that man is saved through Christ, through Truth, Life, and Love as demonstrated by the Galilean Prophet in healing the sick and overcoming sin and death.
5. We acknowledge that the crucifixion of Jesus and his resurrection served to uplift faith to understand eternal Life, even the allness of Soul, Spirit, and the nothingness of matter.
6. And we solemnly promise to watch, and pray for that Mind to be in us which was also in Christ Jesus; to do unto others as we would have them do unto us; and to be merciful, just, and pure.
(Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, Mary Baker Eddy, pp. 496:28–497:27)
What is Christian Science? CLICK HERE to Learn More